Capturing Freedom Short Film Contest Awards Gala
Films from Argentina, Iran, Portugal, and the United Kingdom won awards at the international Capturing Freedom Short Film Contest, which this year focused on female ideals of freedom and independence. ‘The Power of Woman’ is also the theme of this year’s Transatlantyk Festival.
1100 films from 95 countries were submitted to the contest. The winners were selected by a jury comprising:
- Bartek Konopka – Film director, Jury Chair
- Joanna Łapińska – Program Director at Transatlantyk Festival
- Grzegorz Skorupski – Film expert at the Adam Mickiewicz Institute
At their session on 19th June 2017, the jury decided to bestow three awards of equal ranking in the form of Hero5 Session GoPro video cameras and invitations to the Transatlantyk Festival.
The winners are:
- From Hasakah with Love directed by Mohammad Farahani, Iran
Justification: For conscious and professional use of cinematic techniques; for focusing on one character and observing the war through her eyes; for resisting the easy temptation of an action film; for humane and moving perspective on the issue of ISIS and Islamic extremism, so often filled with stereotypes in the public discourse.
- The Two Halves directed by Gwenn Joyaux, Portugal
Justification: A worm cut in half writhes like a hurt person. The whole body is in pain. I have never encountered such a metaphor in the cinema before; for an exceptionally successful combination of the author’s sensitivity, personal tone, and scientific discoveries in the field of separation.
- Spit It Out // A Sparkle Uprising directed by Eleonora Cristin, Great Britain
Justification: For spitting out a manifesto as colorful confetti; for expressing courage and edge in an aesthetically well-thought-out form.
- The jury has also selected seven films which were submitted to the online contest via the Culture.pl Facebook profile. Internet users voted for Cubosoma, directed by Gaston Amat from Argentina, for the Audience Award, which also comes with a Hero5 Session GoPro video camera and invitation for the Transatlantyk Festival.
The awards ceremony took place on 19th of July during this year’s edition of Transatlantyk.